4 DAYS/3 NIGHT MOUNT MERU HIKE
The 4 Days Mount Meru Climb & Hike is the best for acclimatization prior to Mount Kilimanjaro climbing; The Mountain is the third highest peak in Africa and is the second highest mountain in Tanzania at 4,568m. The mountain is located within Arusha National Park, Tanzania’s gem. This prime location gives trekkers the chance to spot some of the wildlife that inhabits the area. Because Mount Meru is located in Arusha National Park, hikers must climb with an armed ranger due to the wide range of wildlife living on the mountain. On the lower slopes of the mountain, hikers are more likely to see elephants, giraffes, and buffalo! As hikers continue their ascents, the trail follows the north rim of the volcano’s crater along a dramatic ridge line. Throughout the climb, hikers sleep in designated huts along the trail. Hikers reach the summit as the sun is rising and they will have spectacular views of Mt. Kilimanjaro and of the Mt.Meru Crater. An easy 40-minute drive from Arusha. Approximately 60 km (35 miles) from Kilimanjaro International Airport. The lakes, forest and Ngurdoto Crater can all be visited in the course of a half-day outing at the beginning or end of an extended northern safari. NOTE: Mountain Climbing Permits duration time is 12 HOURS.
Day 1: Momela-Gate – Miriakamba Hut
- We drive from Arusha to Momela-Gate. After a short registration at the Gate our walk will begin with full armed ranger escorting us, simply we can see along the way the wild animals including elephants, zebras, and giraffe, monkeys, antelope, and often elephants along the route. Dinner and overnight night at Miriakamba Hut.
- Elevation (m): (1,387 m to (1,500 m)
- Elevation (ft): 4,921 ft) to 3,000 ft )
- Distance: 10 km
- Hiking Time: 4-6 hours
- Habitat: Montane Forest.
Day 2: Miriakamba Hut to the Saddle Hut
The walk from Miriakamba-Hut to the saddle below Little Meru is a short day but a steep climb. The walk will take us slowly along the ridge for a spectacular view of the Meru Crater and the impressive Ash Cone. After hot lunch at Saddle Hut we can make a short climb to the summit of Little Meru (3,820m) for superb views just before sunset.
- Dinner and overnight night at Saddle Hut
- Elevation (m): 2,514 m to 3,570 m
- Elevation (ft): 8,250 ft to 11,712 ft
- Distance: 8 km
- Hiking Time: 3-5 hours
- Habitat: Forest and Moorland.
Day 3: Saddle Hut – Summit – Miriakamba Hut
We start early at around 1:30 a.m. to climb steeply to Rhino Point (3,800 m.) and on to Cobra Point (4350m). We reach the summit (4,566 m) on time for sunrise there is a possibility to see Kilimanjaro Peak above the clouds. The final part of the climb is along a spectacular narrow ridgeline between the sheer inner cliffs and the sloping outer wall of the crater. We take a short rest and brunch at Saddle Hut before continuing the descent to the Miriakamba Hut.
- Elevation (m): 3,570 m to 4,565m to 2,514m
- Elevation (ft): 14,977ft to 11,712 ft to 8,250ft
- Distance: 5 km up 13 km down
- Hiking Time: 10 – 12 hours
- Habitat: Alpine Desert Moorland and Montane forest.
Day 4: Miriakamba Hut – Momela gate
We take a short and fast descent way through open grassland and mixed forest, with a possibility of seeing wildlife before reaching Momella Gate in the late morning. The returning transfer will be waiting at Momella Gate to pick you to your hotel in Arusha/Moshi.
- Elevation (m): 2,514 m to 1,500 m to 1,387 m
- Elevation (ft): 4,921 ft to 8,250 ft to 4,921ft
- Distance: 10 km
- Hiking time: 2-4 hours
- Habitat: Montane Forest
- Park Fees
- Gate Transfer
- Crew Wages
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE
|Number of Client||1||2-5||6+|
|Price per Person in USD||1600||1400||1300|